This is the perfect place to launch the new vegetable garden season whether you’d like to brush up on some old skills or are brand new to vegetable gardening.
Brendan Monaco (a sixth-generation 300-acre market vegetable farmer from Ransomeville NY) will be hosting this event along with Chef Steven Binks at Binksberry Hollow on Saturday, April 23, 2022, from 10:00am in the morning until 1:00pm in the afternoon.
Topics to Include
- When to plant
- Soil types and problems to keep a watchful eye on
- Plant selection
- Starting from potted plants or seeds
- Natural and chemical pest control, pros and cons of each
- Troubleshooting problems in the garden
- Creating a culinary garden
Event Timeline: (the timeline below is tentative, we both like to share as much as possible and leave no question unanswered. We sometimes go long)
10:00 am – brief introductions and then Brendan will be jumping right into various topics related to small vegetable gardens you can easily produce in your own backyard for sustainability, food certainty, and enjoyment.
11:00 am – hands-on transplanting of vegetable stock into small pots that you will get to take home!
11:45 am – Binks will wrap up the learning part of the event discussing how to think like a chef when planning your garden to ensure you have delicious healthy fresh food for every night of the week
Q&A – Q&A is continuous throughout the event.
12:00 pm – A light lunch showcasing various vegetables from Goodman Farms and meats produced at Binksberry Hollow.
What do you get:
- A one-hour presentation on getting your backyard vegetable garden started right from a fifth-generation vegetable and fruit Farmer
- 3 potted vegetable plants to take home and plant in your own backyard vegetable garden
- A light lunch prepared by Chef Binks showcasing what is easy to grow and find locally in Western New York
Whats the Price?
The price is $25.00 per person for adults.
Can I bring the kids?
Absolutely, kids are free and will be fed lunch, but you will only get to take home 3 potted vegetable plants per paying adult. Just let us know in the order notes if you will be bringing any kids.
What’s for Lunch?
Binks will create a light lunch including vegetables that are appropriate and most commonly grown in the Western New York vegetable season. Meat will also be included on the menu from Binksberry Hollow’s butcher shop.