For the best tasting coleslaw, make sure to chill it for at least 3 hours!
Pulled BBQ Chicken and Coleslaw PitaCourse: LunchDifficulty: Easy
- BBQ Chicken
1 Tablespoon Macadamia Nut Oil
1 Large Onion, Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
14 oz. (1 Can) Low Sodium Tomato Sauce
1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Truvia
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Whole (~4 Cups) Rotisserie Chicken, Boned, Skin Removed and Cut into 2-inch Strips
4 Whole Grain Pita Pockets
7 Cups Cabbage, Shredded
3 Tablespoon Olive Oil Mayo
1 Teaspoon Shallots, Minced
3 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Teaspoon Sweet Mustard
Salt, to Taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, shallots, sweet mustard and salt.
- Add two cups of the cabbage, and toss thoroughly. Continue adding small amounts, until everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Chill for at least 3 hours.
- BBQ Chicken
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, allowing them to cook until translucent, or about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic to pan and let cook for an additional 2 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, vinegar, Truvia, pepper and bring to a brief boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes, checking regularly to ensure the heat is low enough to avoid burning.
- Add chopped chicken, stirring in to fully coat in the sauce, and return to a simmer for another ten minutes.