Don’t get rid of stale whole grain bread, it comes in handy for recipes like this!
Roasted Root Vegetable and Muenster Cheese StrataCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
2 Medium Turnips, Cubed
2 Fennel Bulbs, Diced
2 Leaks, Chopped Fine and Washed Well
8 Eggs, Lightly Beaten
Salt and Pepper, to Taste
Pinch of Nutmeg
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 Cup Almond Milk
2 Cups Unflavored Greek Yogurt
3 Cups Stale Whole Grain Bread, Cubed
2 Cups Muenster Cheese, Shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 10-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Coat root vegetables, fennel and leeks with non-stick spray. Roast on sheet tray until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Combine chopped turnips, fennel, and leeks in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix eggs, almond milk, and yogurt together adding salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Arrange a single layer of bread cubes in the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Add a layer of root vegetables and then cheese. Repeat layering process until all ingredients are used. Compress the layers into dish with hands. Then, slowly pour egg mixture into dish until it occupies any free space, and all layers are held together absorbing the mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes in 350 degree oven. Serve warm.